- New Measures
Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) Guidelines on Credit Cards
Bank Negara Malaysia has announced new measures for credit cards on 18th March, 2011. For more details, please visit www.bnm.gov.my
Citibank views these guidelines as timely and aligned to Citi's principles of responsible finance. We are focused on ensuring that we provide necessary solutions/options to all affected customers. Specific customer needs are being addressed by our professional staff with our comprehensive range of products and services that best suits their financial needs.
At Citibank, we believe our credit card offers compelling value and is the most rewarding way to pay.
Important Information on Overlimit Transactions
Subject to Citibank’s discretion and approval, Citibank may provide you the flexibility to spend beyond your credit limit to ensure you do not experience any interruption when using your Citibank credit card(s). To change your current over limit status at any time, please contact Citiphone at 03-2383 0008 .
Note: A fee of RM25 will be charged if your total outstanding balance exceeds your credit limit.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) on the Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) Guidelines on Credit Cards ("Guidelines")
- Principal cardholders must be at least 21 years old with a minimum annual income of RM24,000.
Principal cardholders earning RM36,000 per annum or less are restricted to:
- Holding credit cards from a maximum of two credit card issuers
- Having a maximum credit limit of two times their monthly income per credit card issuer
You may select your preferred 2 credit card issuers and to cancel the credit cards from the remaining issuers.
If you wish to retain Citibank as one of your Maximum 2 credit card issuer, submit your latest income document(s) to Citibank to update your income records.
By doing so, we will be able to update your income record with us and ensure that you enjoy the credit limit you deserve. We strongly encourage you to retain your Citibank credit cards as they have a diverse range of benefits and privileges to suit your lifestyle.
The bank may review your eligibility on the Anniversary Date of your Citibank credit card and subject to the outcome of the review, may potentially cancel your credit card(s).
No. You will be given a 2 years grace period to settle the required outstanding balance of your credit card. During this period:
- You will be given the opportunity to restructure or reschedule your credit card debts;
- There shall not be any additional fee or increase in finance charges that has not been incorporated in your existing fee/card facility; and
- You shall not be charged any over-the-limit fee for any reduction in credit limit.
Yes. We do appreciate it if you could submit your latest income documents (as stipulated in our letter to you) as per Question 7 for us to update our records. By doing so, you will be able to continue using your credit card with no interruptions and enjoy the various privileges and benefits that comes with our credit card.
|Income Documents Required (including variable income and bonus(es))|
For Fixed Salary Earners
For Commission Earners
For non-computerized income documents, it is advisable for you to provide more than one type of income document (e.g. bank statements, EPF, EA) to provide the required evidence of salary received.
We have a few channels for you to submit income documents:
Mail your income document to
Citibank Berhad (297089-M),
Bankcard Credit Initiation Department,
IDC Programme (RC:0100100479),
Level 17, Menara Citibank,
165 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur.
- Email your income document to email@example.com
- Citibank Branches (Find the nearest Citibank Branch at http://findmyciti.com)
- Fax us at 03 2383 9913 03 2383 9913
Your income documents will be reviewed and your income records will be updated accordingly:
- In the event where your actual annual income is RM 36,000 or less, your current credit limit will potentially be revised to 2x your monthly income and you will may be restricted to having credit cards from not more than 2 issuers.
- In the event where your actual annual income is above RM 36,000, the requirements of the new guidelines will not impact you and you may continue using your credit card with no interruptions.
Should there be any revisions to your credit limit, we will notify you in advance.
We had progressively sent out letters to our customers whose income is "RM36,000 per annum and below" based on our records. If you have received this letter, we kindly request that you follow the instructions stated in the letter to submit your latest income documents to us.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at 03-2383 0000 03-2383 0000 should you have any queries.
Existing cardholders who earn more than RM36,000 per annum will not be affected by the 'Guidelines'. However, those earning RM36,000 or less per annum:
- May only be allowed to hold credit cards from a maximum of two credit card issuers; and
- May have their credit limits decreased if the existing limit exceeds two times (2x) their monthly income.
Therefore, it is important for customers to ensure that their income records with Citibank are up to date.